Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Streets of Cuba trip, day 2

Now that our group had got our fill of taking tourist shots, we set out in the early hours of the sunrise to take some street shots of kids going to school and adults going to work...or just sitting around.  While walking around we used Juris' technique of just staying in one spot for 10-15 minutes and letting the area get used to us - and have them start acting like there isn't a cheesy tourist with camera waiting for something magical to happen.


The other thing Juris told us, is not to be afraid to ask people if you can take their photo.  He said 95% of the time, people will say "yes", so should we turn down the opportunity of a great photo for 5% rejection? (after writing this sentence, I was thinking, I wish I had those odds when I was asking girls to go out on a date with me!).
Back to photography - the opportunity came for me to ask to take a photo, but it wasn't of a person, it was of the street.  And I needed to use his balcony, for a better view.  So the guy said sure, with the condition that he got to try to sell knock-off cigars to me.  But it was worth it, because I took one of my favorite shots of the trip.


After the walk, we made our way back to the hotel where we had breakfast and prepared for more walking.  The walk began at Plaza San Francisco, where tons of Cubans were doing Tai Chi, something I never would have guessed.
As lunch was approaching, we headed to a ballet dance theatre which had a restaurant.  While at the restaurant we heard a band play, and our tour guide got us to go in and take a few photos of them practicing.  Turns out, the main singer is one of the few remaining band members of Buena Vista Social Club.  It was pretty awesome to hear them play.


Afterwards we head to another spot in Havana and watched some Rumba and Salsa music.  By the end of all this, we were exhausted and headed back to have some pizza and beer at our new favorite place Cafe Paris. Which is where my dad decided to break the ice, and spill beer all over Juris - we all had a good laugh...Juris included.
And that concluded day 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment